Thursday, April 23, 2020

Going North to Blendon


As I am still home and my resources are limited, I’ve been poking through my own family history for ideas to share on this blog.  Doing so led to an hours long journey through pictures and stories I have of my ancestors.  It also brought on some chuckles when I remembered some of the history I was told when I was young about relatives who were probably royalty before they came to America.  They weren’t.  They were farmers and shopkeepers and fishermen and housewives, and as I’ve come to believe, their stories are worth more admiration than if I were to have ancestors who were hobnobbing with kings and queens.

Because of the help of genealogists all over the country and some still in this area, I have stories and memorabilia  that are truly precious to me.  One of these is a transcription of a letter that was sent back home to Germany from my great, great, great grandfather, Claus Behrens, detailing the great opportunities he saw in coming to America. *





Claus was correct when he encouraged other people he knew from Germany to come to America for the opportunities it held.  His family was able to benefit with their own businesses.  His son John owned a general store in Blendon Township.  


This is a commemorative plate from John Behrens' store.  It was common in the early 1900's to give these to patrons.

Also benefiting from Claus's journey from Germany was my grandfather Ken Behrens, Claus's great grandson.  Ken owned a TV and Radio shop that was located on Van Buren Street in Hudsonville.


Both of his descendants were able to own their own businesses just as Claus felt his family would have the opportunity to do.

What I think is the greatest example of Claus's hope for his family is that of his great-great grandson John Behrens and his wife Megan Odegaard. Together they opened a business on the same land that the family has owned since the 1867.  Claus built a farmhaus and planted an apple orchard and now in 2020 John has returned to working with this same piece of land building a ciderhaus. He and his wife's business have truly taken Claus's vision on a better life full circle.  **

Farmhaus Cider, Blendon Towhship - John Behrens and Megan Odegaard owners
Henry and Ida Behrens home, later Marvin and Marian Behrens home
- located on the same propetry as Farmhaus Cider












*Thanks to Gary Seydel for sharing this letter and other information while I researched the Behrens family.
**I am so grateful that John Behrens and Megan Odegaard allowed me to take photos of the farm and Ciderhaus for this blog, and, also, for creating so many delicious, tasty ciders!  To learn more about the Farmhaus history visit Farmhaus Cider, About Us.




No comments:

Post a Comment